Massage therapists enjoy rewarding careers and help their clients achieve relaxation, relief from sore muscles, and overall health and wellness. If you’re interested in massage therapy, it’s important to learn as much about the different styles to find the right wellness path for you. Here is a brief overview of the 5 most popular massage therapy styles and their health benefits:
- Deep tissue massage: Addresses painful or stressed areas of the body and works best for chronic pain. The massage therapist focuses on trouble spots and works on massaging the tendons, muscles, and other tissues.
- Sports massage: Promotes flexibility and helps to prevent injuries for athletes. Sports massage is also used to alleviate muscle strains that result from a sport-related injury.
- Chair massage: Sometimes called a lunchtime massage, therapists who specialize in chair massage focus their attention on their client’s upper back, shoulders, arms, and hands. These massages generally last 15-20 minutes.
- Hot stone massage: Hot stones are placed on the body’s acupuncture points and deliver a deep soothing and healing heat to the body.
- Pregnancy massage: A pregnant woman’s body does a lot of work each day and deserves pampering. Only trained pregnancy massage therapists should administer this massage to protect mother and baby.
At Hollywood Institute of Beauty Careers, we train our students to perform these and other massage styles safely. If you’ve considered a career where providing a healing touch is at your fingertips—literally—then massage therapy is for you. We operate 4 campuses in Florida in the cities of Margate, West Palm Beach, Hollywood, and Orlando. As a graduate of our massage therapy program, you’ll have the education and experience to work in spas, physical therapy offices, chiropractic offices, sports therapy programs, and health and wellness centers. With a massage therapy education and certification, you have many career opportunities. To learn more about our massage therapy program, check out our website at www.hi.edu and schedule a campus tour!